West Oxfordshire District Council throws support behind new regional partnership to boost the area
West Oxfordshire District Council’s Cabinet have agreed to support a new regional partnership that will include councils and other organisations from Oxford to Cambridge who will work together to boost the area's economy and environmental ambition.
Councillor Andy Graham, Leader of the Council, said, “Growing our local economy and tackling the climate emergency are key priorities for this Council.
“They are both big challenges so it is important we work with other organisations to pool our resources to make the changes we need to secure a better future for West Oxfordshire and the wider region.
“We are excited at the prospect of working with other councils, universities and business-led local enterprise partnerships to explore what opportunities we have and work together to improve the area for our residents.
“In particular, the challenges to climate change can be met by working on a regional basis and this pan regional partnership can create opportunities to do that.”
“We already have good partnership working across a wide range of areas but this partnership will help us to better collaborate on some of the big issues we face and do more by working together.”
The new pan-regional partnership has submitted a proposal to the Government which will unlock future funding for the programme and a new board will be established to take forward the partnership ambition and develop a work programme.
The Government has already committed an initial £250,000 to the partnership. West Oxfordshire District Council will be contributing £4,000 a year as part of funding from partners across the project which will help unlock further investment from the Government.
You can view the papers from the West Oxfordshire District Council Cabinet decision here: https://meetings.westoxon.gov.uk/documents/s6526/Item%209%20-%20Pan%20Regional%20Partnership%20Report%20December%202022%20v1.pdf
West Oxfordshire District Council Communications Team
Notes to editors
The Oxford to Cambridge Partnership Board is operating in shadow form as it works towards official government endorsement of its Pan regional Partnership proposal.
The Shadow Board members are:
- Cllr Susan Brown, Leader Oxford City Council
- Professor Alistair Fitt, Vice Chancellor Oxford Brookes University, Chair of the Arc Universities Group
- Peter Horrocks CBE, Chair South East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership
- Cllr Peter Marland, Leader Milton Keynes City Council
- Cllr Anna Smith, Leader Cambridge City Council, Acting Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (temporary)
- Cllr Bridget Smith, Leader South Cambridgeshire District Council
- Cllr Richard Wenham, Leader Central Bedfordshire District Council
- Cllr Barry Wood, Leader Cherwell District Council (Chair)