Vulnerable households to receive support for food, energy and water bills this winter
West Oxfordshire District Council has been allocated £131,730 to support residents who are struggling to make ends meet this winter. This is part of the recently launched government Household Support Fund in which Oxfordshire County Council has been allocated £3.4m.
In West Oxfordshire the funding will be available through a number of different services to make sure the right support reaches those who need it:
- Individual support through Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire who will provide emergency vouchers and financial help towards food, fuel and other essential household costs.
- Support for those in temporary accommodation and housing need through Housing services
- Support for Community food projects and Voluntary sector groups where they are working directly with residents in need
The first element launching this week is the Individual support element with partners Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire. This fund offers a significant lifeline for residents who may struggle to afford life’s essentials over winter. By working with CAWO residents are able to benefit from their wider debt and advice expertise.
This scheme comes alongside further support announced for children and young people eligible for free school meals which is administered by Oxfordshire County Council
Cllr Jane Doughty, Cabinet Member for Customer Delivery said: “The winter months can be challenging for many families. This fund is a welcome relief and we’re grateful that vulnerable families in our district can benefit from it and be safe and healthy this winter.
“I would encourage households to come forward even if they are working, as this fund is available to any resident over 18 who can evidence need, regardless of work or parental status.”
The funds are not restricted to people in receipt of benefits and there are no requirements around recipients’ employment status.
Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire (CAWO) will oversee the voucher scheme which launches this week. Residents can apply by calling 01993 892063 or emailing - email@example.com
Referral partners can refer on behalf of a resident by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further announcements about other elements of support are to follow.
West Oxfordshire District Council Communications Team
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire (CAWO) https://citizensadvicewestoxon.org/
- Government Household Support Fund https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-500m-support-for-vulnerable-households-over-winter