COVID-19: Support for businesses
West Oxfordshire District Council will be supporting businesses throughout the district in response to the unprecedented economic impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
As set out by the Chancellor over recent days, a package of temporary measures has been announced to support businesses through this period of disruption.
West Oxfordshire Council will play its role in delivering these measures which include:-
- a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality and leisure businesses;
- small business grants of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief;
- grant funding of up to £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
Cllr Toby Morris, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Resources, said: “We understand this is a stressful time for business owners and we’re committed to working with them and partner agencies to ensure those affected get the support they need.
“We are working to identify businesses that will qualify for the additional business rate relief and will be contacting eligible businesses before the end of the month to notify you of the relief and revised business rate bills.
“I want to reassure everyone that, with our partners, we are doing all we can to ensure the district is as prepared and resilient as possible.”
It is anticipated that the District Council will act as the administrative body for the grant schemes announced by the Chancellor. The process for applying for the grants is still being worked up by the Government and more information is expected towards the end of the month. Updates, including eligibility and details of how to apply, will be shared as soon as more is known.
For more information and support on coronavirus visit our website: https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/coronavirus
West Oxfordshire District Council Communications Team
Notes to editors
The definitive source of advice during this crisis which includes more detail on all national business support schemes is the gov.uk website.
Additional support for businesses includes:-
- a statutory sick pay relief package for SMEs
- the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme to support long-term viable businesses who may need to respond to cash-flow pressures by seeking additional finance
- the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme